Monday, January 4, 2010

Istanbul, here I come!

Well guys, this is my attempt to get a travel blog started.
I guess i'm travelling already. I mean...I'm up in Boston, have been for a week and a half. And I went to NYC to visit Stacy for 3 days. And that was definitely travelling. Oh, Fung Wah! How I appreciate you! Still $15 one way from South Station to Canal Street Chinatown! Glory, glory. New Years in New York was fun. I love to fake-hate on New York, because I'm from (the suburbs of) Boston.
But I actually have some love in my heart for New York. I feel a hell of a lot more love for NYC than LA or any other major American city, I'll say that much. Its just Derek Jeter that sucks. If they actually kicked him off the island...well, i might think about living there someday.
But anyways. NYE on the lower east side. Some little hipster dive bar called Motor City. There was a Go Go girl Go Go dancing in the big picture window, looking out onto the street and on the bar, and $3 PBR tallboys and lots of beautiful people and straightup comical outfits and much drunken debauchery. So yeah, now I can say I did NYE in NYC once. Sweet.

So I fly out in 2 days. Holy Shit! I gotta go buy some thick-ass thermal, wool socks, cuz being up here in Boston, my feet have been freezing. Its been good though, to be up here in Beantown, living out of a backpack for a week already. It had gotten me in touch with how little i actually need. Which is good, because I need to lighten the load. I don't need 4 pair of pants. I need 2. And I don't need 15 pair of underwear, I need 7 or 8. And I could drop a few sweaters.

I decided to hold off and get boots in Yerevan. See what everyone else is wearing. I hope that isn't a mistake, but until I get my spring loans in...and that makes one les bulky thing to pack. Same with a big, thick winter coat. I've been getting by just fine in Boston just layering up with long underwear, a few sweaters and a hoodie, and it was like nine out last week. Been a while since I felt single digit temperatures. But I don't think (famous last words), but I don't think its gonna be much colder in Armenia than it is in Boston. Just lasts longer, from what I've seen.

So Wednesday, I fly out for Istanbul for a week. We already got a hotel booked for the first 3 days. Play it by ear from there. I'm actually looking forward to doing the touristy stuff more than usual this trip. Can't wait to see the Blue Mosque and the Haggia Sofya and the roman cisterns and the markets. I was reading aboutthe spice market, where people are straight up selling cardamom and tumeric and everything out of 40 lb burlap sacks. Peppercorns. Sea Salt. Coriander. Nice.
Anyways, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself...travel blogging about places that I haven't travelled to yet.

At anyrate, this is going to be my blog. I'll try to update it. I'm not sure what my access to the internet will be in Armenia, so we shall see. But I'm thinking this will be the best way to keep informed of my goings on. I'm not very good at maintaining lists for mass emails, etc. So here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment