Friday, March 26, 2010

Le Centre Pompidou and out last night in Paris...


The outside of Le Centre Pompidou, the Paris Museum of Modern Art

So, on our last full day in Paris, we went to Le Centre Pompidou for a little 'culchah' and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I guess I've still got a bias against modern art, where some snooty douche takes a shit on a Lazy-Boy, wraps the whole thing in Saran Wrap and calls it 'modern art'. Malarky like that. And there was some lame stuff, I gotta say, but some of it was pretty dope. Erro, the collage artist, was awesome. Proceed:




You ride these escalators up like 6 flights of stairs, and then...


View of Paris from the top of Le Centre Popidou




Better recognize!


The architecture was really dope. And the lighting and the crisp white of the walls. It was refreshing to be in a museum where noone seemed to care if you took pictures, and with all that light and those white, white walls and parquet floors, all my pictures came out better than I expected with my little digital.


This was the exhibit of this crazy collage dude. 50 Years. Erro. Not sure where he was from but the imagery mixtures were excellent. Way better that the thatched ceiling and the naked lady rolling in newspaper and glue.















This room was an exhibit of a design/architect person. Ergonomic, aesthetically pleasing kitchen supplies and whatnot. It was all dark. I dubbed it "Cafeteria of the DeathStar".


Uuuuuuuummmmmm....... huh?




this was for Stacy. They had DVDs of Cremaster 3 at the gift shop.




Its hard to take a bad picture at night.


Our amazing dinner at Le Reminet. Shout-out to Lyle.


The vino...oops, I'm sorry. Le vin.


Apps: salmon ceviche and I don't remember what hers was.


Sigh. Looks like that almost make it worth payin' the tab...


Braised 'pork cheeks' in a mushroom sauce with sauteed red peppers and pineapple


Seared scallops in a cracked pepper sauce, over a bed of mushroom risotto.

All in all, it was a pretty amazing week. In the end, I was kind of pushing the museums, but we ended up only going to the Musee D'Orsay and the Centre Pompidou (I went to the Musee D'Orangerie the next day, after C left...I'll post those pictures tomorrow) . Never made it to the Louvre. But we walked all over that fucking city, saw all of the cool neighborhoods, most of the architecture, at some of the best food in my life, crossed the bridges over the Seine about a 100 times, heard the churchbells of Notre Dame from lying in bed in the morning, drank nothing but delicious wine and bubbly water (ok, maybe I squeezed in some espresso and one Stella!) I don't even want to know how much money I blew, but it was worth it. I'm graduating pretty soon and its back to the working world and although I've got a pretty good track record so far, I really don't know if I'll ever make it back to Paris. So I think we did it up right. Wouldn't have changed a thing...except for maybe that gargoyle slam ;)

4 comments:

  1. I think some day you should make a photo of all of your food photos from around the world-and frame it -then make me a copy and I'll hang it on a wall beside my door photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot the following important tidbits:
    1. we also went to the pantheon, the holocaust museum, and a gallery with about 347 cat paintings. Add in Notre Dame, the zoo/pretend labyrinth, Saint Chapelle, all those gardens, and the mosque, and we seem a bit more "culchahd."
    2. another part that made that last dinner so amazing was our table neighbors bought us fancy glasses of champagne just for being cute Americans (and being a Carolina alum helped too).
    3. ALMOST worth paying the tab? I'm gonna melange your face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @C
    1. yeah, i never even mentioned the pantheon. seeing fouccault's pendulum and the tombs of descartes, alexandre duman, emil zoya and hugo was pretty cool.
    2. champagne is good. free, expensive champagne is better.
    3. you're worth it, my little sattelite sandwich.

    ReplyDelete